Adding a new wood fence around your property has many benefits. It can improve privacy and security, but will also add artistic and luxurious detailing to your landscaping. So, installing a new wood fence is always a good idea.
Yet, once you decide to acquire a new fence, the focus turns to selecting a professional installer. By taking the time to find the right contractor, you will have the peace of mind that your new wood fence installation is sturdy and will last for years. As with any home project, the best results will come when a person stops to ask a few questions.
1. Can I have a list of references? – Every reputable installer will have a list of references that you can call about their workmanship.
2. Are you insured, and do you have proof? – Fence installation is not typically dangerous work, but injuries can always happen. Make sure the company is properly insured.
3. Will you get any required permits? – An experienced contractor will typically get any required permits. However, there are times it may be up to the homeowner.
4. Can you provide an itemized, written quote? – A trustworthy installer will provide you with an itemized, written quote.
5. Is there any type of warranty on the workmanship? – Most contractors will give a guarantee on their workmanship. They want you to be happy with the finished fence.
6. Will you dispose of my old fence? – If you have an old fence that is being replaced, there needs to be a plan for disposing of it.
7. Do you communicate with the utility companies? – Electrical, water, cable, and gas lines need to be marked before work. Someone needs to contact the utility companies prior to installing a new fence.
8. When will you complete the project? – In most instances, an installation will only take a few days. However, you don’t want the project to become drawn out.